So you’re considering ordering the abortion pill? Before you click “check out,” take a second to learn about the potential risks related to ordering the abortion pill online.
In this blog, we’ll discuss how to avoid untested medications online, how to know if the abortion pill is right for you, and what to do before you take the pill.
Here are the main questions to ask yourself before you order the abortion pill online:
1. Have I received all of the pre-abortion scans and tests I need to ensure my health and safety?
Part of making an informed and educated decision for your pregnancy is accessing the various pre-abortion tests and scans that will help keep you safe and healthy through the process.
The abortion pill is a medical process and it’s important to take precautions before you begin the process. We recommend scheduling an appointment for the following:
- Lab-quality pregnancy testing — Even if you’ve taken an at-home test, we recommend going to your healthcare provider or your local pregnancy center for a lab-quality pregnancy test for the most accurate results.
- An ultrasound scan — An ultrasound scan is the only way to truly confirm your pregnancy. An ultrasound will confirm that you are pregnant with a viable pregnancy and identify complications (such as an ectopic pregnancy). It will also identify the pregnancy’s age, which will inform what kind of abortion you are eligible for.
- STD testing — Being infected with STDs/STIs at the time of abortion can lead to health complications. Regardless of whether you choose abortion or continue to carry the pregnancy, we recommend getting tested for sexually transmitted diseases/infections to ensure your health.
While accessing all of the additional testing might feel overwhelming, emotionally and financially, there’s help! Soundview Pregnancy Services offers free pregnancy testing and ultrasound scans to help you learn more about your pregnancy and make the choice that’s right for you.
2. Do I know if I’m eligible for the abortion pill?
The abortion pill is only an option for women who are within 10 weeks of gestation. Attempting a chemical abortion when you are too far along may lead to an incomplete abortion and serious health risks including hemorrhaging and infection.
Like we said above, it’s important to confirm your pregnancy, its location, and its age through an ultrasound scan and discuss your options with a healthcare provider.
3. Do I know if this medication is trusted?
Unfortunately, there are companies that are taking advantage of women who are experiencing unexpected pregnancies — posing as pharmaceutical sites and selling a form of the abortion pill that has not been tested.
Before taking any medication, it’s important to consult a qualified medical professional to confirm that it is safe for consumption.
4. Am I fully aware of the side effects and risks that may accompany the abortion pill?
Women who take the abortion pill can experience side effects such as abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, and bleeding.
5. Is the abortion pill the right choice for me?
As you make this choice for you and your future, it’s important that you feel empowered and confident through knowledge and resources.
Soundview Pregnancy Services is here to help you navigate this challenging decision!
We provide free pregnancy testing and ultrasound scans, as well as options coaching to provide you with a safe space to process your feelings and ask any questions you may have.
- Broen AN, Moum T, Bødtker AS, Ekeberg O. The course of mental health after miscarriage and induced abortion: a longitudinal, fiveyear follow-up study. BMC Med. 2005;3:18.